add your email

December 11th, 2009

decorating the mantle

Last week, I came home from work to find my husband, Will, waiting for me at the front door. He was grinning ear-to-ear and I could tell he was excited to show me something. That something was a wreath he had made out of scraps of wood left over from a workshop project that would have been otherwise destined for the trash.  I just about flipped! I cannot tell you how much I love this thing.  Turns out that a couple of days before, we were joking around about Christmas decorations and I suggested that we should make a tree out of wood just like one of my favorite of our holiday designs, Scrap Wood Tree:

His brain got to work (as it usually does) and he came up with the wreath design instead.  Well, this just threw my Christmas decorating plans in a tailspin and I decided to make it the centerpiece of our holiday display this year. So this year, my holiday decorating is a bit more on the natural end of things. I added some plants from our succulent collection and a grove of little, white bottle brush trees to the display. Perfect! But it was still missing something…..

The next morning, Heidi came into work with a paper crafting project she had done the night before. Feeding into her holiday crafting frenzy, she made these beautiful, delicate paper blossoms from cone shaped coffee filters (white & unbleached). I immediate snatched them up. Thanks, Heidi!, they’re the perfect finishing detail to my mantle! Aren’t they just gorgeous?

-Susie

20 comments to decorating the mantle

1. Ange
    December 12th, 2009 at 1:05 am

That Will, he’s a clever one. Love it!

2. Megan@Feasting on Art
    December 13th, 2009 at 8:01 pm

I love the paper blossoms. Grabbing my scissors and hole punch pronto to liven up my flat!

3. Kira
    December 14th, 2009 at 7:11 am

They’re both wonderful! And for those of us who don’t have wood scraps lying about, we can use popsicle sticks. :)

4. kristin
    December 14th, 2009 at 7:36 am

everything about this setup is awesome! where did the little yellow lamp come from?

5. Nicole
    December 14th, 2009 at 8:46 am

Is there a how-to for the beautiful paper ornaments?

6. Sara
    December 14th, 2009 at 10:22 am

How is wood attached? I love the look and thought I try one from driftwood…
    Are they nailed, wired or glued together?? Thx!

7. susie
    December 14th, 2009 at 10:59 am

Thanks everyone for the super nice comments!

Kristin- I got the lamp on ebay a couple of years ago for only $12! It’s definitely a favorite!

Nicole- Sorry, there’s no How-to for the paper blooms as of yet…let me see if I can get Heidi to do one for us!

Sara- The wood is attached with glue and construction staples. It could easily be done with glue alone. My husband used an aluminum cake pan to keep the center a perfect circle while he was building it…. layering the wood around the center as he glued.

8. Kat
    December 14th, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Absolutely love this whole thing. Feeling inspired. Check out this garland I made with unbleached coffee filters and some tissue paper if you get a chance.

9. Alterna-Wreath « Love the Girl Who Holds the World in a Paper Cup
    December 21st, 2009 at 5:34 pm

[...] http://blog.rockscissorpaper.com/2009/12/decorating-the-mantl/ [...]

10. Claire
    December 22nd, 2009 at 3:31 am

I have just found your blog and I love it! I really like this very seasonal and crafty mantle piece idea. Very eco-friendly and unique.

Love it! Keep up the excellent work!

11. melanie
    February 10th, 2010 at 4:36 am

12. Laura
    November 17th, 2010 at 6:03 pm

first mantle posting this year I like… at all… but I LOVE it!!

13. Rayan Turner
    November 17th, 2010 at 6:30 pm

I think this is ADORABLE! how cute is your hubs! I constantly have wood scraps from furniture projects! I hope you don’t mind if I share your post with with my readers, they will love this as a fabulous idea for Holiday Decor using Scraps no less! Heart this!

14. riverlady
    November 18th, 2010 at 6:07 am

so clever

15. Clever Holiday Decor and Fabulous Use for Wood Scraps! — The Design Confidential The Design Confidential
    November 18th, 2010 at 2:24 pm

[...] I think this is such a clever use of Wood Scraps and “left overs” from Rock Paper Scissors, and is also quite simply a fabulous Holiday Decor Project, whether you have scraps left over from [...]

16. Rachel
    November 28th, 2010 at 12:59 am

can you tell me exactly how your husband made the scrap wood wreath? He obviously took pieces of wood that were relatively the same size and thickness and then what? Are they attached to a backing to be layed out in a circle or are they each just attached to each other separately? Did he use nails, if so, what size, or wood glue? How is it hung? A hook or just propped up on a nail? What about the center circle. How did he make that so round and perfect. I would love to tell my bloggers and customers on my website just how he did it and send them to your page. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and Happy Holidays

17. susie
    December 1st, 2010 at 11:56 am

Hi Rachel,

I happy that you like the scrap wood wreath! I do not have a step-by-step tutorial for you. I posted this as an inspiration not as a DIY project.

Would love to see what you come up with!

Susie

18. wood christmas trees « make something happy
    December 17th, 2010 at 5:30 pm

[...] Will is no stranger to creating unique holiday decorations. Last year he made me this amazing wreath. Pretty awesome for someone who says he isn’t into decorating for the [...]

19. 101 progetti per ghirlande natalizie – pagina 3 » La pappadolce
    December 3rd, 2011 at 5:25 pm

[...] ghirlanda realizzata con stecchi di legno, di http://blog.rockscissorpaper.com/ [...]

20. DIY Christmas wreath | lucina.ph
    December 3rd, 2011 at 6:04 pm

[...] time favorites from last year. The RockScissorPaper blog outdid themselves and made this gorgeous wood-scrap wreath. Talk about genius! Since I’ve been on a wood mood and was lucky enough to have gotten all [...]